February 4, 2009

Torch Songs

Alanis Morissette: "I never dreamed I would have to lay down my torch for you like this."



Aretha Franklin: "You told me that you would leave me here in tears. Now you're gone and the hours seem like years."



Sinead O'Connor: " I love you my hard Englishman. Your rage is like a fist in my womb. Can't you forgive what you think I've done? And love me --- I'm your woman."



"Montana Half Light" (Phillip Aaberg): at first, a touch on the sleeve, then the song swells and you find yourself in the middle of the most complicated Montana serenade: my feelings for you intensify; I need you in the ways I can no longer identify or understand.



Dorothy Moore had a hit with Misty Blue the summer of 1976. I was born into this voice. Notice: she's smiling.


I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning. I'm on fire. Please don't leave me all scorched earth and ash.

2 comments:

Glenn Ingersoll said...

Just read your "Suicide Memoribilia", having gotten there from the first book interview posted at -- I forget where.

Man, that was rough.

Congratulations on the book.

James Allen Hall said...

Thanks, Glenn!